Wikipedia Asian Month is an annual Wikipedia contest focused on the promotion of Asian content on various language-specific Wikipedias. Each participating community runs a month-long online edit-a-thon every November on their language's Wikipedia and create new content or improve existing articles about Asian topics apart from their own country. Participation is not limited to Asian communities.
The first iteration of this competition began in 2015 and each year the number of articles has increased and the participants have diversified and expanded. In the past three years, over 20,500 high-quality articles have been added in more than 50 language-specific Wikipedias by more than 2,000 Wikipedia editors.
As part of the friendship and cultural exchange of the Wikipedia Asian Community, participants who create at least four articles will receive a special Wikipedia Postcard from another participating community.
Get ready to be surprised! You never know which Wiki community will be sending you postcards! Wikipedians who create the most articles on each Wikipedia will be honored as "Wikipedia Asian Ambassadors".
In a nutshell: Create new articles relating to Asia (people, places, culture, etc.), 3,000 bytes and 300 words minimum, with sources, during November 2018. Lists do not qualify.
- The article is newly created by you (i.e. not expanding stubs) between November 1, 2018 0:00 and November 30, 2018 23:59 (UTC).
- The article should be at least 3,000 bytes and at least 300 words in length. (exclude Infobox, template etc.)
- The article must fulfill the notability criteria.
- The article must have decent references; doubtful or controversial statements in the article should be verifiable by the citation(s) listed in that article.
- The article must not be purely machine translated and should be properly copy edited.
- There must be no major issues with the article (no copyright violations, questions of notability, etc.)
- The article should not be a list.
- Exception: Creating a list that becomes a featured list counts. (Only applies in Wikipedias that have featured lists.)
- The article should be informative.
- The article should be about any topic concerning an Asian country.
- Articles submitted by an organizer need to be checked by other organizers.
- Judge(s) from each language Wikipedia will determine whether an article is accepted or not for their language Wikipedia's contest.
- When you create 4 articles that fulfill the above rules, you will receive a WAM postcard from one of the Asian communities.
- Wikipedia Asian Ambassadors will receive a signed certificate from Asian Affiliates, and an additional postcard. See the Q&A for more information.
You can sign up any time through the month of November.
Contributed to the English Wikipedia for Asian Month? Submit your contributions through the Fountain tool.