ह्या फळ्या वीशीं
Ho zaun asa Wikipediacho Tintto! Hangasor akhea somudaien Wikipedia vixim bhasabhas korunk zata.
हो जावन आसा विकिपीडियाचो तिंटो! हांगासर आख्या समुदायेन विकिपीडिया विशीं भासाभास करुंक जाता।
ಹೋ ಜಾವ್ನ್ ಆಸಾ ವಿಕಿಪೀಡಿಯಾಚೊ ತಿಂಟೊ! ಹಾಂಗಾಸರ್ ಆಖ್ಯಾ ಸಮುದಾಯೇನ್ ವಿಕಿಪೀಡಿಯ ವಿಶೀಂ ಭಾಸಾಭಾಸ್ ಕರುಂಕ್ ಜಾತಾ.
Previous discussion was archived at on 2016-03-18.
Global bot policy changes
Request for comment: Category policy
Konkani Wikipedia being a multi script Wikipedia has to deal with unique challenges about page categorisation that are straightforward in other Wikipedias. What script(s) should the category name be in? Can we apply a single category to pages in different scripts?
Till now there has been no policy about naming convention of categories. Some categories have been in English, some have been applied across different scripts, some have multiscript names. Categories have been used very inconsistently and as a result their usefulness has decreased.
This RfC is an attempt to develop a standard and use it in future.
- All category names must be in Konkani.
- Three main tracking categories have been created for adding to all pages in Devanagari, Romi and Kannada scripts. They are [[वर्ग:देवनागरी पानां]], [[वर्ग:Romi panam]] and [[वर्ग:ಕನ್ನಡ್ ಪಾನಾಂ]]. We can create aliases in different scripts and redirect them for use by those who don't know all scripts. वर्ग:Romi panam has already been successfully added to all existing Romi pages using AWB. It is possible to develop a bot to automatically add these categories in future. In addition to tracking all the pages in a category, this will also be useful in future if we have to run a bot only on specific script pages.
- Categories with multiscript names will be made obsolete. One of things that was tried was keeping category name in two scripts, like वर्ग:गोंय/gõy and use this for pages in both scripts. This has the disadvantage of making it harder to use for people who know only one script. This is also difficult to type since we have to switch between keyboards. Categories with multiscript names can be made obsolete with development of सांचो:Lipi. We can create categories in individual scripts and link them together using the Lipi template. So for example गोंय/gõy will be split into वर्ग:गोंय amd वर्ग:gõy and linked using Lipi template. All existing multiscript categories will be eventually sorted into individual script categories and deleted.
- A category should be added only to pages in the same script. For example वर्ग:गोंय should be added only to pages in Devanagari and not for pages written in Romi or Kannada. If any category in a script currently doesn't exist, it can be created and linked together using Lipi template. An exception to this rule would be maintenance categories like [[वर्ग:Lipiantor korpachim panam]] and categories that are bundled with templates.
I welcome feedback about these and discuss improvements. We can then create a policy page based on concensus reached.
I think that we can go ahead with system.
Proposal to enable local file upload for Admins only
Currently gomwiki does not have local file uploads. This prevents us from using non free, fair use images in our articles since they can't be hosted on commons. For example, रॉयल सोसायटी and राश्ट्रीय स्वयंसेवक संघ are two articles where fair use images are needed.
I propose that file uploads be enabled since there is a need for it to improve the encyclopedia. There are two ways in which this can be done; allowing file upload by Admins only or by every user.
Each locally uploaded image will need to be checked for copyright. Since the size of community and the number of articles that need fair use images is small, I think it is sufficient to enable Admin only file upload.
We can decide on a suitable image policy and import the necessary fair use rationale templates.
I support the proposal to enable local file upload by admins. Now that the Wikipedia has been active for around 6 years, the community has gained the maturity and understanding about Wikipedia copyright policies, and we can manage local file uploads.
कारभारी जावचेक विनंती / Request for Adminship
Temporary Adminship granted for six months
हाँव कोंकणी विकिपीडियाक एकक आनी सांचे आमद कोरचे, नाक्कसिल पानां काडून उडोचे आनी दुसरे निर्वहण काम कोर्च खातीर कारभारी जावचेक विनंती करता. तुम्का सहमत / विरोध नवें कसने प्रश्न आस्लार तोग्गु बरेया.
I would like to request Adminship to import modules and templates, deleting unwanted pages and doing other maintenance tasks in Konkani Wikipedia. Please write below if you support / oppose or have any questions.
I support your candidature for adminship.
Maka tujea Adminshipchea proposal sahmat asa kiteak tujea wikipediache kam maka chod avadlam. Dev borem korum. - Joseph Fernandes
I have been granted temporary Adminship for six months. Thank you everyone for your support.
I have delete two comments for privacy reasons. Since revision delete is not possible in flow, I had to delete the entire comments and have pasted safe versions below -
Comment by Fredericknoronha -
Strongly support this proposal. @AVSmalnad77 has been adding a whole lot of new pep and initiatives to the Konkani Wikipedia for some months now.... He has a lot of potentials (I feel). Besides his ability to link between the different scripts (and dialects) of Konkani, he also has the tech skills that open up new possibilities in the rocky road of taking the Konkani Wikipedia ahead. Perhaps such initiatives could consolidate the work put in by others earlier, and it already seems to be revitalising initiatives on the GOM wikipedia. I wish him all the best, and many productive new initiatives! Kator reh bhaji!￼
Comment by Siddesh -
I support @AVSmalnad77 for Adminship. From my interactions with him so far, I think he has the all-round technical skills and drive to take Konkani Wikipedia forward.
[Small wiki toolkits] Workshop on "Debugging/fixing template errors" - 27 March
As part of the Small wiki toolkits (South Asia) initiative, we are happy to announce the third workshop of this year. The workshop will be on "Debugging/fixing template errors", and we will learn how to address the common template errors on wikis (related but not limited to importing templates, translating them, Lua, etc.).
Note: We are providing modest internet stipends to attend the workshops, for those who need and wouldn't otherwise be able to attend. More information on this can be found on the registration page.
Regards, Small wiki toolkits - South Asia organizers, 12:31, 16 मार्च 2021 (IST)
WMF Community Board seats: Upcoming panel discussions
As a result of the first three weeks of the call for feedback on WMF Community Board seats, three topics turned out to be the focus of the discussion. Additionally, a new idea has been introduced by a community member recently: Candidates resources. We would like to pursue these focus topics and the new idea appropriately, discussing them in depth and collecting new ideas and fresh approaches by running four panels in the next week. Every panel includes four members from the movement covering many regions, backgrounds and experiences, along with a trustee of the Board. Every panel will last 45 minutes, followed by a 45-minute open mic discussion, where everyone’s free to ask questions or to contribute to the further development of the panel's topics.
- Skills for Board work - Friday, March 12, 18:00 UTC
- Support for candidates - Saturday, March 13, 13:30 UTC
- Board - Global Council - Hubs - Saturday, March 13, 16:00 UTC
- Regional diversity - Sunday, March 14, 13:00 UTC
To counter spamming, the meeting link will be updated on the Meta-Wiki pages and also on the Telegram announcements channel, 15 minutes before the official start.
Let me know if you have any questions, KCVelaga (WMF), 14:06, 10 मार्च 2021 (IST)